My Story: Help Me Build Schools and Futures
Having grown up in an impoverished communist country with food and water rations, electricity shortages, and a pervasive lack of freedom, the options of what I can do and become were limited. But despite all the challenges and hardships, I consider myself very lucky. I was blessed with a loving family and I had the opportunity to go to school and learn how to read and write.
Me in kindergarten in Romania. We are all wearing national folk costumes. 🙂
My father taught me how to play chess when I was 4 years old. Chess has been an important part of my life. I played the game competitively throughout my childhood and teenage years. This is me playing in a chess tournament in 1989. I love this beautiful sport with every beat of my heart.
When I immigrated to America, my eyes were opened to the opportunities and possibilities that I never knew existed growing up in Romania. I enrolled in college and had access to the right tools that would enable me to build a better future for me and my family. Now, that I am in a better position, I want to spend as much time giving back as possible. Since I moved to United States I have volunteered with great organizations like Team For Kids, New York Cares, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Autism Speaks and New York City Service for Hurricane Sandy relief. But, I always wanted to do more.
I am extremely passionate about education and literacy. Education is a human right. It has the power to transform lives, to lift communities out of poverty, and to protect families from the hazards of labor exploitation and disease. It is a fundamental building block that gives children the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential. I made education my priority to give back.
My dream is to build schools in developing countries. ❤
In my quest to find the right organization that would offer me a platform to achieve this, I came across buildOn. I fell in love with their work and their commitment to changing people’s lives in both United States and around the world. I decided to contact them and use them as a platform to achieve my dream of building schools.
To raise money, I will run marathons across America and all over the world. I will also run a marathon on each continent – 7 marathons on 7 continents! So far I have raised over $35,000 from more than 135 donors!! ❤
My 7 marathons on 7 continents schedule
You have been so supportive all this time, but now, I am asking you to be part of something even BIGGER. Together, we can build futures and change lives! Please click the link below and donate what you can. It is easy, fast and secure. Your generosity and support is greatly appreciated. ❤
Below are all the races I ran in the last 2 and a half years. They helped me raise money to fund 4 schools in 4 developing countries – Nepal (groundbreaking in 2016), Senegal (groundbreaking in 2017), Nicaragua and Malawi.
- NYC Marathon (November 2, 2014)
- New Jersey Marathon (April 26, 2015)
- Iceland Marathon (August 22, 2015) – as part of 7 marathons on 7 continents (#1 – Europe)
- Chicago Marathon (October 12, 2015) – as part of 7 marathons on 7 continents (#2 – North America)
- NYC Marathon (November 2, 2015)
- Rock and Roll Washington D.C. Marathon, March 12, 2016
- Country Music Marathon, Nashville April 30, 2016
- Quebec City Marathon, August 28, 2016
- Chile Marathon, Patagonian Marathon, September 27, 2016 – part of 7 marathons on 7 continents
- Cape Cod Marathon, October 30, 2016
Shoes I ran few marathons with. They are so dear to my heart.
This year I am running 10 marathons to raise money for more schools. Below is my schedule:
- Jan 15 – Louisiana Marathon, Louisiana, LA
- Feb 19 – George Washington Marathon, Maryland
- Mar 25 – Two Rivers Marathon, Pennsylvania
- April 9 – Paris Marathon, France
- May 7 – Flying Pig, Cincinnati, Ohio
- May 20 – Great Wall of China Marathon, Asia – 7 marathons on 7 continents journey
- Sept 3 – Frankische – Schweiz Marathoon – Bavaria, Germany
- Oct 15 – Detroit Free Pass Marathon, Michigan
- Nov 19 – Route 66 Marathon, Oklahoma
- Dec 2 – Rehoboth Beach Marathon, Delaware
THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for supporting my dream and efforts. I am forever grateful.
Please share this page on Facebook, Twitter, and email friends who might want to get involved.